At our Pumpkin Carving Party this past weekend I made a Baked Camembert with Pecan Pumpkin Butter as one of several appetizers. It was one of the best things that I have ever eaten. In fact, it was so good that my husband and I ate the entire thing before the guests even arrived…embarrassing!
If you have not tried pumpkin butter yet, you are missing out. My good friend Anne shared this scrumptious recipe with me, but you can also purchase it from Williams-Sonoma. This is such an easy, hot appetizer and perfect for the holidays!
1 round Camembert cheese, in a wooden box
Crisp, sliced baguette or crostini
1/2 cup pecan pumpkin butter (recipe below)
– Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Remove and discard any paper labels from the wooden cheese box. Unwrap the cheese and discard the wrapping. Place the cheese back in the box, cover with the lid, and place it on a baking sheet.
– Bake until the cheese is completely soft on the inside, about 20 to 30 minutes. Carefully remove the lid from the box. Use a serrated knife to slice the top of the rind off the cheese and discard. Gently move to a serving platter with spatula.
– Spoon the pumpkin butter on top of the cheese and serve immediately with bread.
Pecan Pumpkin Butter
3 1/2 cups fresh pumpkin purée
1 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1/4 cup Jack Daniels
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon allspice
zest of 1 orange
1 cup toasted pecans, finely chopped
– Simmer first 7 ingredients in a saucepan on low heat for 30 minutes.
– Stir in orange zest.
– Add pecans to mixture and stir to incorporate. Remove from heat and allow to cool
– Once fully cooled, the pumpkin butter stores best in 2 airtight mason jars in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.