My sister had a holiday party at work today. Yesterday she asked me to make a ‘goodie’ for her to take to the office party. I have wanted to make this butterfinger banana cake from Sugar and Charm for a while, but wasn’t sure how her colleagues would react to the bananas + butterfinger combo. So I decided to make chocolate butterfinger cupcakes instead.
These took hardly any time to make and went over very well at my sister’s office. As a bonus, I was able to get a bag of mini butterfingers, leftover from Halloween, out of the house!
Chocolate Butterfinger Cupcakes
1 box chocolate cake mix (plus ingredients called for on the box)
1 tub chocolate frosting
Butterfinger chunks, see instructions below (I used 12 mini butterfingers)
Cupcake baking cups
1. Make chocolate cupcakes according to the recipe on the box. Allow cupcakes to cool fully.
2. Make butterfinger chunks according to instructions below and place in a small bowl.
3. Place the plastic tub of chocolate frosting in the microwave for approximately 10 seconds. Remove from the microwave and stir. Return to the microwave for another 10 seconds, or so, and stir again.
4. One by one, frost each cupcake then dip/roll into the butterfinger chunks. ‘Fluff’ the chunks with a fork in between cupcakes for best results.
How to Make Your Own Butterfinger Chunks
This is the no-mess, no-fuss technique that I learned as a teenager working at I Can’t Believe It’s Yogurt. If you have kids (or even husbands) they will love to help with this activity!
1. Place butterfingers in freezer over night.
2. Using the flat side of a meat tenderizer, pound the butterfingers senseless while still in their wrapper. I find that placing the butterfingers on their side works the best.
3. Tear-off one end of the wrapper and pour chunks into a small bowl.