Dogs and Chocolate

Most of you know that dogs and chocolate do not mix (or at least not well).  My sweet little BabyCakes decided to eat a piece of chocolate fudge on Christmas Eve.  We realized what had happened right away so were able to call our veterinarian and the emergency pet hospital for help.  I have listed a few facts in case this happens to your ‘little one’ sometime in the future.

Dogs and Chocolate by The Sweet Spot Blog

Why is chocolate bad for dogs?  According to webvet.com: ‘Chocolate contains caffeine and a compound called theobromine, which stimulates the nervous system and can be toxic to animals.  If enough is ingested, your pet can suffer from vomiting, diarrhea, abnormal heart rhythms, tremors, seizures, and worst-case scenario, death.’

How much is too much?  The answer depends on the type of chocolate ingested and the weight of your dog.  Toxic symptoms will generally occur when 100 MG of Theobromide are ingested per kilogram (2.2 pounds) of the animal’s weight.  So the smaller your dog is, the greater the risk they face after ingesting even a little bit of chocolate.  But since most of us cannot do that type of math in the case of an emergency, National Geographic has created an interactive chart to help.

What to do?  Call your vet or pet hospital immediately for help.  In our case, we were instructed to give BabyCakes a cocktail of hydrogen peroxide and water to make her vomit.  She ate less than 0.25oz of semi-sweet chocolate, and at 10 pounds she was considered low-risk for significant problems.  We kept a close eye on her for the next 24 hours, which definitely put a damper on our holiday spirit.

Disclaimer: I am not a vet…so please consult a real vet in case your pet ingests chocolate.

[nrelate-related]


7 Responses to Dogs and Chocolate

  1. Jessica Lemley-Carballo December 28, 2012 at 11:54 am #

    Hi ladies,

    I nominated you for a Liebster Blog Award. You can see the post here:
    http://www.chickadeejess.com/2012/12/liebster-blog-award.html#.UN3Yh-Q71dg

    Jessica Lemley-Carballo (aka Chickadee Jess)

    • Corinna December 30, 2012 at 5:08 pm #

      Thanks for the nomination!

  2. Kelly @ Our Everyday Harvest December 30, 2012 at 2:07 pm #

    I am always so paranoid when it comes to chocolate around my dog, especially when I am preparing something in the kitchen. The furbabys always love to stand by my feet to see if I drop anything.

    I am glad BabyCakes was okay and didn’t get sick. Thank you for the tip from the vet.

    So happy to have you link up at this week’s Harvest of Friends Weekend Blog Hop
    Kelly @ Our Everyday Harvest recently posted..Ulta Beauty Coupon: $3.50 Off $10.00My Profile

    • Corinna December 30, 2012 at 5:09 pm #

      BabyCakes said to tell you thank you!

  3. Shut Up & Cook | The Attainable Gourmet December 30, 2012 at 5:26 pm #

    Our puppy is very into eating old books right now…just hard covers mind you, and preferably the classics. It’s the weirdest thing! She must be watched like a hawk, so the little shark in her doesn’t come up, but at least I’m glad it’s not chocolate. Happy New Year!
    Shut Up & Cook | The Attainable Gourmet recently posted..Elegant Five Course New Years Eve MenuMy Profile

  4. Corinna December 31, 2012 at 7:02 pm #

    At least she has good taste in books!

Leave a Reply

CommentLuv badge

© 2012, The Sweet Spot Blog. All Rights Reserved.