Are you looking for a great honey-do project for the long weekend? How about finally tackling the garage? This is one of those projects that can be accomplished in one day (or two if you have a bunch of stuff to haul off.)
Recently I shared my sister’s Garage Makeover Before/After. I had so many requests to see what was inside the cabinets, that I decided to write a second post on our Garage Organization steps. Since we had removed everything from the garage when preparing for the makeover, we were able to start with a ‘clean slate’ and systematically move everything back into the garage.
General Garage Organization Guidelines:
1. Off the Floor: The first rule of a clean and organized garage is to get everything off the floor.
2. Cabinets: Use cabinets to hide everything away. This keeps the clean look and forces you to make a place for each and every item.
3. Clear Bins: Using clear bins makes it simple to see what is inside and allows you to easily stack items together. Use multiple sizes, but the same brand so they stack properly.
4. Label Bins: Anyone will be able to find what they are looking for quickly. Use a label maker or blue painters tape and a black sharpie to create the labels.
5. Categorize: Group ‘like’ items in the same cabinet. Place the most used category in the most accessible cabinet.
6. Allow for Room to Grow: Leave empty bins in each cabinet so you can add new items as needed.
Garage Organization How-To:
1. Lay out the empty, clear bins across the garage floor. Begin returning everything to the garage and place similar items in the same bin. If you fill a small bin, move them to a larger one so you can continue to add more.
2. Once everything has been returned to the garage, check to see if if there are two or more bins that can be combined into one.
3. Group bins with similar items next to one another. For example, group all bins with tools or group all bins with cleaning products.
4. Begin stacking the bins in the cabinets by general similarity. For my sister’s garage, we placed all tools and DIY products in one cabinet and holiday/party stuff in another cabinet.
5. Place the heaviest bins on the bottom shelves to keep the cabinet stable and save your back from heavy lifting. Place lesser used items on the top shelves.
6. Within each shelf, stack lesser used bins on the bottom and more used bins on the top of each stack. This will allow you to easily access often used items.
This DIY garage organization system should not only be easy to complete on a weekend, but also simple to maintain and later expand, as needed. You will be so happy when you can find everything you need quickly!
Don’t forget to ‘Pin’ this post so you have it available when you are ready to makeover your own garage.