So glad that you have returned to our series ‘How to Sell Your House Fast!’ Today we are going to share a few hints that will make your open house extra special. We are looking for input from all those that have had successful open houses…so please leave a comment if you have another idea for us!
You want your Open House to end in multiple offers, right? Well, here are a few suggestions to make that happen:
1. Set the Atmosphere: How do you want the (hopefully) crowds to experience your house? My husband and I live in a young, up-and-coming neighborhood so we try to set our house up like a BBQ party. We place a pitcher of lemonade on the front porch and bottles of beer and hot dogs on the back porch. Your house might be set up for an up-scale cocktail party or children’s party.
2. Food and Drinks: Set out drinks and appetizers for your open house guests. A good trick is to use real plates and glasses so your guests have to stick around to finish the refreshments before they leave. This will give your realtor extra time to sell them on your house. I love to make an OJ and champagne bar so visitors can make their own mimosas.
3. Lighting: Turn all the lights on in each room and open the window coverings to let the sunlight in. Everyone wants to feel like they are in a bright and open environment.
4. Music: Our house is wired for sound, so we always play music at an open house to show-off the professional a/v system. However you want to be careful of the station you choose and volume level. Choose an easy listening station and set the volume at a low level that will allow for easy conversations (about making an offer on your house).
5. Sensory: There are a lot of opinions on what your house should smell like during an open house. Many people swear that it should smell like chocolate chip cookies or pumpkin pie, but there are others that swear that it should smell like ‘nothing.’ I fall into the later category and believe that you should open windows and doors to allow the fresh air in.
If you have missed the first 7 parts of this series, you can find the full series here. Don’t forget to ‘pin’ this post so you have the information handy when you decide you sell your house!