My BFF’s baby is almost a year old. As a surprise, I made a Valentine’s Smash Cake for her sweet little one this past weekend. It was a huge hit with both baby and mommy! Although a bit of a mess….
Follow these guidelines for making a Smash Cake:
1. Do not use candles. Babies and fire do not mix!
2. Do not use a stick to stabilize a layered cake. Baby can poke themselves on it when smashing.
3. Do not decorate the cake with anything that could be a choking hazard. Examples include, red hots, sugar pearls, and large sprinkles.
4. Do not use a cake mix that is nut-based. Baby could be allergic to nuts.
5. Remember that this cake is just for looks, not for taste. You will want to create something that will make for good photos, but do not kill yourself baking a tasty cake from scratch.
For more information on Smash Cakes, see Debbie’s post on Baby’s First Smash Cake here.